Collage of Life

Collage of Life
What you can see...

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Warning continued

The Silverback was right there!  He was just sitting there eating a piece of lumber from a concrete form that was done to make part of hydroelectric system.  He was enjoying himself.  A few others were scattered around him also eating wood.  A couple of babies were there getting the pieces of wood he left behind.  They leaped onto their mothers back to travel.  We saw about 5 or 6 at that spot and they moved around and even passed right by Ivan brushing his leg.  They do not seem to mind humans and really just ignore you.  They do have some very expressive faces...Richard got many great close up shots.  I will share them soon.
Now, we have seen 5 or 6 gorillas and I am thinking this is great lets go....NO...We had to see the whole family.  So, now we had to climb up the very steep embankment to the top so we can view all the other gorillas.  I did not think I could do this....It was very scary and I do not have the balance or stamina these young people had...Oh well, I would try.  With the help of David holding my hand and pulling me up and Ivan behind me holding me and keeping me from falling, I made that climb!  I felt like Rocky at the top of the steps in Philly!
It was not over!  I was huffing and puffing and catching my breath when the other gorillas came into view.  They were moving around looking up for food and choosing which tree to climb.  One mom went up a pretty flimsy tree and the baby held on tight and almost fell.  The baby screeched loudly and I guess Mom caught it in time.
We looked up to make sure the baby was ok when all of a sudden great big stinky bombs started raining down on us....Then when that was over, it was time to shower us with pee!  We were just far enough away so as to miss the 

No comments:

Post a Comment