Collage of Life

Collage of Life
What you can see...

Friday, March 11, 2011

What's on Your Bucket List?

o many Baby Boomers are at the age of retirement now that the phrase "Bucket List' is becoming more prevelent.  The recent movie with Jack Nickolson and Morgan Freeman about checking off items on their "Bucket List" included an African Safari.....How about that!
We started our traveling adventures when I was about 42 years old.  We bywhere in the Caribbean and then circled S. American, visited Alaska, cruised the Medititeranian Sea and the Baltic Oceans.  We saw New Zealand and Australia.  All these wonderful cruises gave us great memories and our passion for travel increased.  The only problem with cruises is that you can only see the coastlines, and a short distance inland.  You miss the interior parts.  We decided it was time to see some inland destinations.
Now, our travel passion really didn't have anything to do with a "Bucket List" at that time, but as we get older, this so called list has become active in my mind.  Even though we have seen around 52 different countries so far, there are still so many more to visit.  So, now I seem to be creating a "Bucket List" in my head. 
How did we decide to see Africa?  Well, it occured to me that I would love an African Safari.  Some people said to me, "Why would you go on a Safari?"  I said back, "Why wouldn't you like to go on a Safari?" 
It seems to me that this adventure would be on everyone's "Bucket List."  I went to the internet and typed in African Safari to see what was out there....WOW!  There are lots of places you can go on Safari in Africa.
What do you choose?  How do you choose? 
I find the research part of planning an adventure like this very exciting.  The names and places are all unfamiliar and yet you remember seeing or reading something about that on the Discover Channel or in the National Geographic Magazines.  The Great Migration...I knew about that.  I looked for places in East Africa where this event happens each year.  I ended up at a website: www.safariafrika.com  where I found the perfect travel agent and agency to plan our first African Safari!!  We were going to Kenya and Tanzania and I was totally ready!  I was going to check off something on our "Bucket List!" 
Continued tomorrow......
Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment